The Perth based THE HOUSE OF EDGAR is the official tartan weavers of the Red Carruthers tartan and producers of all our highland wear: Kilts, Sock Flashes, Trews, Ties, Ladies Sashes as well as various kilt jackets, waistcoats and socks.
It is the longest running family owned commercial weavers in Scotland and the Clan Carruthers Society-International are proud to have links with them, as producers of our tartan.
History of the House of Edgar
The business began over two hundred years ago at a small farm called Remony, on the banks of Loch Tay near Aberfeldy, Perthshire. Alexander Macnaughton had worked as a tenant farmer, but in 1783 he decided to set up a small spinning mill to process both his and his neighbour's wool. Later two of his six sons took over and continued the trade at Remony until 1835. In that year, Alexander's grandson William moved to Pitlochry in the next valley, took a lease on some ground beside the Moulin Burn, and set up a new spinning and weaving company. The move took advantage of the 'Age of the Railway', with Pitlochry being on the main railway line to the north.
The 1970's saw the huge growth of the tourist industry in Pitlochry, and this in turn led to an ever decreasing pool of labour, willing to work in the textile industry, and with the shortage of housing for textile workers, recruiting from outside the area was not an option. In 1983 the decision was therefore taken to close the Pitlochry mill and the production was transferred to The Isle Mill in Aberdeen.
Further expansion took place in the 1990's when the Company bought Whitehill & Wilsons Limited, a long established family business in Paisley. Although previously specialising in the manufacture of neckerchiefs (neckers) for the scout and guide movements, the Paisley factory was re-trained to enable it to become one of Scotland's foremost kilt factories.
The requirement for additional production capacity also led to the Aberdeen weaving factory to be closed in 1992, when all weaving production was moved to the highland village of Keith, in Morayshire.
The head office is based at Tower House, Ruthvenfield Rd, Pert, PH1 3UN, Scotland and our point of contact is the very helpful Mr Nich Slatt, Sales Director